Friday, July 31, 2015

Review: Emmy's Organics


Emmy’s Organics started in 2009 by Samantha and Ian in Ithaca, NY. Ian had struggled with digestive sensitivities most of his life and had to cut out dairy, gluten, and other dietary irritants from his diet at a young age and had learned to work with raw vegan foods. After meeting Samantha, they had discovered that they had the same passion for living a healthy lifestyle. Emmy’s started small with Ian’s gluten-free, GMO-free, vegan recipe for macaroons, sold at a their local farmer’s market and food co-op. It really took off; people were buying them up like crazy and they’re now sold in thousands of stores nationwide.

Prepackaged snack foods don’t generally feature heavily in my home. Steve LOVES snacks, and the ritual in my house is that after dinner, a big snack plate is made and we park our butts on the couch to watch whatever series is on HBO GO while waiting for the next season of Game of Thrones. This snack plate generally consists of some type of cheese, the ubiquitous bar of gourmet sea-salted dark chocolate (or a variant thereof), and fruit. Occasionally there will be chips, usually something containing chia seeds or whathaveyou, but packaged snack food usually doesn’t make the cut.

As you may know by this point, while I’d consider myself a “health nut” and avid label-reader, Steve is a little more finicky than I am about these things. Would Emmy's Organics be acceptable to Steve?  I couldn't wait to find out!

I received a variety of flavors of macaroons in the mail, including Lemon Ginger, Choco Chili, Chocolate Chip, Dark Cacao, Chai Spice, and Coconut Vanilla.

The texture of each was that of your everyday macaroon, though they were a bit more delicate.

The Coconut Vanilla tasted like a normal coconut macaroon. Lemon Ginger was very light in flavor, and Chai Spice (not currently available on their site) tasted exactly like a cup of chai with milk. Dark Cacao and Chocolate Chip were good, yet predictable (not necessarily a bad thing if you’re not the adventurous type). However, my favorite was the Choco Chili—dark chocolate and just a hint of cayenne spiciness. It was different, in a good way. They also offer Chocolate Orange and Mint Chip Macaroons.

All of Emmy’s products are made in small batches and are organic, vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO, and the macaroons have officially been awarded the Steve’s Seal Of Approval ™ for snack-plate usage. To win a space on the snack plate is a true honor indeed.  

In addition to macaroons,Emmy’s Organics offers other products--“super cereal” and chocolate sauce—and I wish I had been given the opportunity to try them. I’m not a fan of cereal in general, mostly because it turns into a bowl of sugary mush and I get bored of eating it before I get full. This stuff looks like the real deal, though: sprouted buckwheat, dried fruit, and nuts -- rather than flour, sugar, and MOAR SUGAR. I will be sure to try some in the future.

Emmy’s website features a store locator if you’d like to pick up some snacks nearby, or you can order directly from their website.

On their website, a case of 12 individual bags (3 macaroons in each) can be purchased for $32.50 (about $2.70 per bag), or 179.95 for a "Master Case" of 72 bags, which saves a total of $17.75. They also carry larger 9ct bags for $6.95 or $50 for a case of 8 larger bags. Finally, they also have a few variety packs available.

Make sure to follow them on Instagram or sign up for their newsletter to receive a 15% discount coupon off your purchase. 


 

8 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Love that more and more Non-GMO/Organic products are available. Especially yummies that look as good as these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmy's Organics looks like they have products that I would really enjoy with my tea. I love macaroons and these look delicious! I do want the Coconut Vanilla.
    twinkle at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great review! I've been gluten free for about 2 years now and still looking for great tasting gluten free foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good with my son having Celiacs GF is so important when buying products that are healthy so im putting these on my list to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining the Small victories Sunday Linkup party. Please join again. Pinned to the group board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your great review with us at Funtastic Friday:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies sound delicious! I love that their easy on the tummy too. Thank-you for the information & review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so.
    r4shopping |

    donnafashion |

    fashionjunk |

    fashionforwomen |

    nolafashioncouncil |

    fashionfire |

    efashiontrend |

    californiafashion |

    business-east |

    mexicobusinesssummit |

    ReplyDelete