Thursday, July 30, 2015

Summertime Hairstyle for Short to Medium Hair (Video Tutorial)


Hey y'all! Texas is killing me with the heat this year! We have had about 20 days of 100° or more in a row so far and it isn't showing any signs of cooling off. I pretty much don't leave the house when its this hot, but if I have to you can bet I'll be putting my hair up in a pony tail or something to get it up off my neck.

This summer though, I decided I'd had enough of ponytails and set out to try something different. I'd seen pics on Pinterest of a romantic, boho style hairdo that looked awesome so I gave it a try. The result was a super easy, cute and cool style that also served as a great way to get No Heat Curls in my hair at the end of the day. For this style, you'll need a headband or elastic or you can make your own which I will now show you how to do!

Headbands tend to give me a headache so I wanted to get something soft and light but still strong enough to hold up my hair. The elastic I went with is sometimes called Fold Over Elastic or FOE. I have purchased it by the yard off Etsy and have recently found it with cute prints at Walmart, Jo-ann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. You can buy FOE on Etsy for as little as .78 cents a yard. The pack I purchased from Walmart was less than $3.00 and had 4 styles per card with 1.5 meters of elastic per style.


You'll be able to see the instructions fairly well in my tutorial video, but for clarification I'll give the basic instructions here.

Take the elastic and use it to measure the circumference of your head, from the back of your skull base up around to the top of your head (where a head band would sit naturally). Mine ended up being 20 inches. Subtract 1 inch and cut your elastic to that length. I then used that cut as a template to go ahead and cut one of every color I had. Take the elastic and tie a simple knot at the end, pulling it tight toward the tails (see video for clarification).

I've found the best way to get the style to stick is to partially blow dry my hair so its still a little damp. I don't put any product on before hand, but if you want to use this style to get great No Heat curls, you can use a little mousse on the ends.

Comb out your hair with your fingers and place the head band down over the top of your hair. Starting with the front, take small sections and wrap them around and under the elastic. Work both sides of your part before moving onto the back.

Once you have the front sections of your hair wrapped, start gathering the hair in the back and basically just stuff it in like you are putting it in a pocket. If you have any stragglers you can wrap them in too. You aren't aiming for perfection. You want this look to be messy and romantic. You can add little flowers or decorations to the back for an added touch.

Great look for kids and adults!

I generally don't need to pin this style, but if you head shape causes the elastic to want to slip off, you can secure it with a couple of strategically placed bobby pins. I do live in Texas so I of course follow all this up with a healthy dose of hairspray to keep it all together.

At the end of the day when you take the elastic off, you should have amazing curls in the front and kind of messy curls in the back. I bet you could put your hair up like this and sleep on it to get curls in the morning but I haven't tried that yet.

Please feel free to comment if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer promptly. Don't forget, sharing is caring! Thanks for watching! I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. Stay cool!

http://jannolson.blogspot.com

 

12 comments:

  1. So pretty and simple!! And what a great idea to just purchase the elastic yourself and make your own perfect fit headband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Great tutorial! Thanks for linking up with Thursday Favorite Things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! I'm gonna try it myself! Thanks so much for taking the time to link up with us over at the #HomeMattersParty - we hope to see you again on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! The video was great. I am going to Wal-mart tomorrow to get some of this. Going to a Hot Springs this weekend with all of our kids and grands. Can't wait to show them! Love how it curls your hair for later as well. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this!! Going to have to try!! Looks good!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party!! Hope to see you again this week!! I pin everything on my 2 favorite things pinterest board!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lauren, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC this week.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you joining the Small victories Sunday linkup party. Please join again. Pinned to the group board.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These updo styles are so classy! Love them:-) Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great hair ideas for summer! Thanks for sharing at the Say G'day Party! Pinned and look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty up-do! It's so nice to have alternatives to ponytails for hot days. Thank you for sharing this post with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop. Pinned and shared :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! This looks so amazing. Pinned and tweeted. Thank you for bringing such amazing creations to our party. We hope to see you tonight at 7 pm because we LOVE to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete