Monday, September 19, 2016

Chilled Veggie Pizza


My husband has been saying for some time now that he was craving Veggie Pizza the way his mom makes. I had it a few times, but it's not something I grew up on the way he did, so I never made it myself.

Luckily, it's beyond simple! Unlike the sort of hot cheesy pizza I am familiar with, this is a cold blend of flatbread, cream cheese and fresh raw veggies that makes for a fantastic dish a hot summer day or a quick throw together for any get together.  Cut into small portions, it makes a great appetizer.

Chilled Veggie Pizza

Ingredients

2 Pillsbury crescent dough tubes
2 8oz bricks softened cream cheese
1 packet Ranch Dressing mix
1 head of broccoli
1 head of Cauliflower
1 bell pepper, any color
2 cups shredded carrot
1 small white or red onion
2 cups crumbled bacon (Optional)
2 cups finely shredded cheese

Roll the crescent dough out flat, in one baking sheet if possible, or separately, if necessary. Pinch the seams to create the bottom crust. Bake according to dough tube. Ideally, this will happen earlier in the day, letting it cool before assembling, however we forgot to do that and as it was dinner time, so we pushed on. It was still fantastic!

While baking dough (or later if you let it cool, which you should), mix the softened cream cheese blocks with packet of ranch powder, creating a delicious sauce for the pizza.

Spread the cream cheese evenly across the cooled crust.

Make sure all your veggies are diced to bite size. The smaller the better in my opinion!

There is no correct order for the veggies, so pile it on!  The veggies listed are my mother-in-law's traditional choices, but of course you can add, subtract or replace to suit your own preferences.

While it is perfectly reasonable to leave this completely vegetarian friendly, we just happened to have about 8 strips of bacon left over from breakfast that crumbled beautifully with all the fresh product. I highly recommend this addition.

Lastly, sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.

This is best served chilled, without a doubt. However, we were already ready to sit down to eat, so eat we did! No regrets here...












19 comments:

  1. I make a veggie pizza too, but my recipe is very different from yours. I might have to try this one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love pizza but it is embarrasing to say we dont like veggies but with this recipe I think me and the kids will try it. Here's mine http://www.sahmsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Thanks for sharing at the To Grandma's house we go link party today! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had cold pizza before but not uncooked like this. I really like the sound of it though, I may just give it a try. #ThursdayFavoriteThings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jackie,
    What a great idea, this looks wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing with us today at Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cool idea, and looks really tasty. Thanks so much for sharing over at #FridayFrivolity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this lighter side of pizza!
    Sounds delish!
    Thanks
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting pizza. We like all these ingredients and would probably enjoy making your recipe. Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday. I love crescent roll recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have some great veggie eaters in the house. Wouldn't this make a great appetizer? Happy FF and thanks for sharing with us!

    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely!! its not too heavy or filling so it makes perfect fingerfood treat.

      Delete
  10. Sounds yummy! I've never thought of a cold veggie pizza. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cold pizza - and this is sort of like a pizza salad!! Yum! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never used crescent roll dough to make pizza before - what an inspired idea! Your Chilled Veggie Pizza looks scrumptious! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its chewy and fluffy and dont have to worry about it being too dry or heavy.. I love it!

      Delete
  13. Jackie, I have had this before and I agree with your husband, it's yummy. Love that you can serve it as an appetizer for a buffet, it's just the right amount of each item-bread, veggie and dip, to hold people over til the meal. Or really good with a bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never made, heard of, or had anything like this before. Sounds amazing though!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely evening.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love veggie pizza! It's been a while since I've had it. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds delicious to me!! Yum!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 favorite Things on Thursday. My blog was down last week but it's up and running again. I hope you can find time to stop by and share some more this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete